Thursday, July 30, 2009

My First Post

I thought I would catch you up to speed on a few things in my life these days. Some of you have known me for a year or two and some for more than twenty. But whatever the case, I love you to death and I'm so glad you're in my life! So the past two years have been ones full of change for me. Maybe that's why I feel like I relate to a kaleidoscope... constantly moving, changing, shaking things up... but it's beautiful when each turn made is a reflection of Christ in me.

So to start off on the same foot I'll give you the bullet point format for the last few years. My marriage was a difficult one. We never had it easy, but most people don't. The only problem was that during the hard times he turned to alcohol instead of to the Lord, or even to talk to me. The bottle and the bar were much easier to handle than the truth at times. By the time we were able to go to counseling he had already moved on emotionally and soon physically. He moved out just two months later and asked for a divorce.

That year everything in my life changed. I went from being married, to being single. I moved to a different apartment. A different city. I changed churches. I changed jobs. My circle of friends wasn't the same anymore... and it was a very hard adjustment to make. But God turns our mourning into dance and our weeping into joy! My new job was a huge blessing from God (via some very good friends :) )! I was able to get a new car that I needed. I didn't have to worry about being able to pay my bills each month! Whew! And I truly enjoy the challenge of my position each and every day.

So last year it was time to learn who I was again. I went through divorce recovery at my church and saw a great christian counselor. You can really start to loose yourself when everything you do is for the other person in a relationship. I had to learn what music I liked, what movies I liked, what was my style??

I was ready to try something new. So I went skydiving last summer and ran my first half marathon! We went to plays and the symphony. We tried new restaurants and new foods. I got out of my comfort zone and eventually ... I learned to date again. And boy do I have some great stories! Overall... once God set me back on my feet, I had fun... we had some fabulous girl nights and went dancing late into the night. I made some really great friends and I learned the value of true friendship.

This year I joined a running club and ran my first FULL marathon! 26.2 miles in 4 hours and 19 minutes! Again, with the help of Ashley, Lauren and Vanessa who ran me into the finish! What an experience! I learned to wakeSURF this summer, went snowboarding in Colorado, laid on the beaches of Barbados, and will be in Puerto Vallarta with Elizabeth in two weeks!!

Yet nothing compares to the true blessings that God gives me each and every day through the people He has placed in my life. I have seen seven of my dear friends welcome a new baby into their arms this year and there are four more to come! God had really taught me just how relational He created me to be. My heart delights for each celebration and my heart breaks when I see hurt. But each of those things remind me that I cannot change anyone or anything, I cannot protect or control, I can only give it to God with open hands and trust that He would take better care of it than I ever could.

One thing that you might hear me talk about on this Blog is a new thing for me this year. Falling in Love. What an experience. What a feeling. I get tingles just writing it... God brought an amazing man into my life.
He is an incredible man of God and has really protected himself and stayed close to the Lord through all his training and travels in the Army. He was brought up in a very strong Christian home and truly loves the Lord first and foremost. He pushes me towards God because he knows that God will protect my heart better than he ever could. He has been so patient with me and gentle knowing what I've been through. He has never made me feel pressure to open up, or put any expectations on me.

After writing for over four months we met for the first time when I picked him up from the airport.... and it was such an incredible day :) I'll tell you more about it later... but I just wanted to bring you up to speed on a few things. I know some of it may sound very simplistic, but you can always ask if you have more questions or ever want to talk. I hope you each have a great day today and I'll try to write again soon.

I love you!


5 comments:

  1. Sweet Kelcey!! I am so excited you have a blog :) I can't believe to read all about your new life... things seem to be going really well for you and I am so excited :)

    I love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelcey! That was beautiful! I am so excited for you and the amazing things the Lord is doing in your life.

    And i *love* that you have a blog sweet girl :)

    Hugs to you!!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you're bloggig! Thanks for being so open and real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging community! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being so encouraging!! I'll try to keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete